Video Updates – 1 and 2

Posted on Thursday 10 August 2006

Video Grunion1

Video Grunion2

14 Comments for 'Video Updates – 1 and 2'

August 21, 2006 | 1:52 am

Heard about your search from Charles Hinman at Pearl Harbor. Congratulations on finding the boat and the men still aboard her. Hoping the USS BARBEL is found one day soon. Please keep the videos and news coming. Jim Converse, Overland Park Kansas USA

Bob Juettner
    August 21, 2006 | 3:39 pm

I was very surprised to read in the morning’s Anchorage Daily News that the USS Grunion may have been found. My father’s best man and my broather’s godfather, Joseph Sylvester Kennedy was member of the Grunion’s crew. For years, I have made attempts to learn more about the fate of the Grunion and my father’s friend. As chance would have it, I actually work in the Aleutian area and make periodic visits to Dutch Harbor. Then, I read in the blog, that part of the search party was stuck in Cold Bay, a place that I visit often in the course of my work and will be passing through this week. Keep up the good work.

Rhonda Raye
    August 22, 2006 | 7:30 am

Mr Juettner,

Glad to hear from you! You wouldn’t still be in touch with any of John Kennedy’s family and can let them know? or have any leads as to how to find them; siblings, children, possible wife, etc. All we have so far is his last address along with his father’s was Flushing, NY. We are trying to track down families of all the men if possible.

Rhonda Raye
    rrrstarATwmconnectDOTcom -replace the AT and DOT with symbols of course

Bob Juettner
    August 22, 2006 | 8:48 pm

Rhonda, I sent a number of weblinks to my brother yesterday. He downloaded several files to show our father. I also sent my brother your message. Hopefully Dad will be responsive to the information and your request. I can not remember any mention of Doc’s family while I was growing up. Hopefully, Dad can supply the missing information. Bob

Rhonda Raye
    August 23, 2006 | 7:24 am

Do you think your father might have a picture of Kennedy that can be added to this site:

August 23, 2006 | 10:58 am

Pido disculpas,se muy pocas palabras en idioma ingles,trato de interpretar las imagenes,y comprender con palabras sueltas,solo quiero decir que formo parte de un grupo de amigos submarinistas,y que seguimos con mucha emocion la busqueda del USS GRUNION,y nos ponemos muy felices con cada avance positivo de la operacion de busqueda,si alguien domina el idioma español,me podria decir si es posible el reflotamiento del casco del submarino ,en caso de llegar a el.¡¡ suerte y adelante !!. GOOD LUCK

Buenos Aires ,Argentina

Bob Juettner
    August 23, 2006 | 3:17 pm

Rhonda, here is the latest information my brother got from Dad on Sylvester, Doc, Kennedy. Doc’s parents died when Doc was a young man. However, there was a brother. That is all I got.

August 23, 2006 | 7:14 pm

If any crewmember’s families (or anyone) has any photos of the boat
    during any stage of its existence (construction, launching, commissioning, service or group pics of their loved ones) that are not currently on the Navsource Grunion page,
    please feel free to submit them to me @
    mmohl@navsource.org.
    Individual crew members photos should continue to be posted on http://www.oneternalpatrol.com/uss-grunion-216.htm

Rhonda Raye
    August 24, 2006 | 9:20 pm

Mr Juettner,
    Thanks. perhaps your Dad will remember more info later on- it has been a long time. At least we can hope so- who knows perhaps the brother’s family will be located by then. Do you know if Sylvester was married? At least we have you and your family here who cares about this man. Have a great day!

Rhonda Raye

10.
    ATC (NAC) Henry DeStoop, Jr. USN (Ret.)
    September 2, 2006 | 7:01 pm

Thank you for the video.

11.
    September 6, 2006 | 5:44 pm

Hello, Rhonda and Bob:

If the Sylvester and the Kennedy you’re talking about are Sylvester “Ken” Kennedy, he was engaged to be married to Evelyn Switzer from Long Island. My earlier letter tells about Evelyn, who died last December. There also is a letter from Evie’s great-niece, Lori Larsen. The story of Ken and Evelyn has touched everyone who knew her. Evelyn waited for him for many years, and she loved him for all of her days. I sent in some photos from the trip we took to Dutch Harbor so she could see the submarine dock and stand on the last places on earth where Ken had walked.

Kitty Fleischman

12.
    Rhonda Raye
    September 7, 2006 | 7:28 am

Yes that is the Kennedy we were talking about. I saw your letter and that of Evelyn Switzer’s niece. It was very touching. I wish Miss Switzer could be here to see all that is going on but of course she knows all now. I’ve also seen the pics -thanks for sending them. We may not have yet found his “blood kin” but I think Mr. Kennedy is well represented with people who “have not forgotten” and that is what it really is all about!

13.
    George Petrie
    December 7, 2006 | 12:51 am

Thanks for all your efforts. My cousin, Navy Captain (Ret.) sent me a copy from a military newsletter he got in Hawaii which concerned your efforts to locate the Grunion. Our uncle, Tom Martin, was a member of the Grunion’s crew so any information you can find is very important to us. We are basically his only survivors still alive. My cousin, was a POW for 5 1/2 in Hanoi during the Vietnam War and I am a retired Major from the US Army’s Special Forces who also fought in the Vietnam War. My email address is kay08@aol.com if you find anything else out about the Grunion. Thank you again, George Petrie.

14.
    NANCY SPRINGER
    April 17, 2007 | 4:11 pm

My mother, Evelyn Daniels was in the Coast Guard, and her first husband Louis Doell was on the Grunion. . He was one of the radio men on board. They were married less than a month, when thr Grunion went down. Mom always thought it was a sub chaser that sank the sub, but Thanks to the internet we found out different. I am happy to hear that someone is looking for the Grunion,and hope that it is found. Even though Louis was not my father, my mother loved him very much, and it would feel like closure for me now. For me and all the family’s loved ones.