USS Grunion Story on the NBC Today Show 10/24/06

Posted on Friday 20 October 2006

Today Show – Tuesday, Oct 24th

images.jpg

I have just been told by the producer of the Today Show that the Grunion segment will be aired Tuesday Oct 24 between 8:00 and 10:00.

NBC crew - 21.jpg

7 Comments for 'USS Grunion Story on the NBC Today Show 10/24/06'

Peter Thomas Stephens
    October 24, 2006 | 2:21 pm

Just viewed the USS Grunion segment on the today show. My wife and myself watched in amazement. It was a very emotional experience even after reading the whole web page. This was icing on the cake. This airing should provide additional publicy. “Lets Roll”
    Thank God for the determination of Jim, Brad & John Abele in this great discovery.

Howard A. Sanders
    October 24, 2006 | 3:34 pm

I just finished watching the news item of the Grunion on the Today show. It was great to view the pictures and listen to the Abele brothers. It made me wish I could have been with them in the Bering sea. I would juxtipose it to visiting my dad’s grave site. I hope we can keep the memory of the Grunion alive as long as possible.
    I sent a letter of thanks to NBC for doing the special.

Meryl Kretschmann & Family
    October 25, 2006 | 1:09 am

Our thanks to the Abele Brothers for continuing the
    search. The Valiant men’s
    story must be told. We want them never to be forgotten.
    The comradeship of the Grunion people on this find
    of my Dad’s sub since August
    has been spectacular.
    The Today Feature Show was
    very touching and a long time
    in coming. Thank you NBC

Meryl Kretschmann & Family
    October 25, 2006 | 4:52 am

Thanks to the Abele Family for continuing the search for
    the Grunion. We saw the Today Show today and it was very
    moving. My Mom cherished the letters to her from Mrs
    Abele encouraging her hoping for answers about my
    Dad and Commander Abele and the other men.. The Valient men should
    never be forgotten. Their story must be told.

Lynne Blinco Earle
    October 25, 2006 | 9:57 pm

The Today Show segment was very moving to those of us who lost a loved one on the Grunion. We owe so much gratitude and thanks to Jim, Brad, and John Abele for their continued search, endurance, and financial backing. Thanks also to NBC for finally featuring the story of the gallant crew of the Grunion and their loss after 64 years.

Susan Wisenbaker
    October 31, 2006 | 4:24 pm

Did anyone copy the Today segment? I was camping in Colorado and missed it.

Thomas Rutledge
    August 24, 2007 | 1:14 pm

They “went down to the sea in ships” but also took on the dangers of the underwater world of the Second World War. In “Iron Coffins”, written about the battle for the North Atlantic, the hardships these brave men faced were detailed as were the costs paid for by both sides but little has been said about the pacific battle which continued to rage after Germany had surrendered. These men were the best of our best who chose the most dangerous of work in the most arduous of conditions, and the men of the USS Grunion pulled perhaps the very worst of all assignments in that they were operating in waters that could kill a swimmer in less than five minutes. Their story must be told. In the recent book “Shadow Divers” the efforts of two divers to identify a German U-boat discovered on the Atlantic seaboard is detailed and was a griping story of the dangerous underwater exploration that effort required; in light of that story the idea of raising the Grunion is probably unworkable but what an honor it would be to those men who gave their lives so soon after our entry into the War.
    I know this must be a labor of love for those who have taken the challenge to find the lost ship and my prayers will be that they succeed in every endeavor to tell of one missing crew, and the ship they manned, and the country they served. May we never forget.
    Tom Rutledge