Status Report August 9th

Posted on Thursday 9 August 2007

As of yesterday mobilization was complete. They ran a ROV test in the harbor and found a small leak in one of the cameras. Luckily there was no damage as one of those cameras cost about the same as a small house. The leak was repaired and a second trial will take place today. If OK they will be on their way. This is the real world.

Of interest: The truck carrying 36,000 lbs of ROV equipment and owned by Clif Davis passed thru Milwaukee just two days before the bridge disaster.

Last night Rhonda found a nephew of John E Wilson who was a cook on the Grunion. We now have found relatives for 68 out of 70. Only two to go, Moore J Ledford and Byron A Traviss.

Photos: On the home page at the bottom of one of the boxes to the right is SEARCH 07 Photos. When you click that you will get a window showing albums. If you click on one of the albums and then on SIDESHOW you will see the photos in that album displayed one at a time full screen. This is important because when the action really gets going you don’t want to be going thru the learning process. Let me know if it doesn’t work.

8 Comments for 'Status Report August 9th'

Susan Wisenbaker
    August 9, 2007 | 8:49 pm

Bruce,
    I tried to access the pics. The site loads very slowly – in fact, I thought it had locked up it took so long – 5 mins maybe. The albums could be looked at but again, when I tried to set up a slideshow – I gave up before it loaded. It may just be my problem but I thought you would like to know someone tried.

Newman
    August 9, 2007 | 11:07 pm

Hi Susan,

I\’m sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the albums. I just tried it and it seems to be working on my computer. Were other sites running slowly?

Is anyone else having trouble with accessing the Picasa WebAlbums?

I made a little screen capture video on how to link over to the WebAlbums, linked here:

Hope this helps!
    Newman

Rhonda Raye
    August 10, 2007 | 5:50 pm

The slideshow works well on my computer (I have a DSL connection).

Teresa S. Baker
    August 11, 2007 | 9:05 pm

Just wanted to say that I saw that a nephew of John E. Wilson had been located. My granddaddy, Steven Surofchek, was also a cook on the Grunion. We are praying for success in locating the Grunion. Thanks to everyone who is working so hard towards that end.

Sincerely,

Teresa S. Baker

Mike McMahon
    August 13, 2007 | 4:48 am

I have downloaed the pictures and used the slideshow feature and it worked fine. I have a DSL connection and both an old iMac and a newer MacBook. Works fine on both. The only comment I have is that the labels on the pictures help us know what we are looking at. I do not recognize all the equipment.
    Looks great! Keep up the good work! Looking forward to some great pix from Kiska.

Susan Wisenbaker
    August 13, 2007 | 5:49 pm

It appears to have to do with the time I try. This weekend from home they loaded fast. This morning early at work it was fast. Now, at lunchtime, the website loads fast but the slideshow is still slow. I suppose there is lots of activity during the lunchhour.

Bottom line is – ignore me – it looks like the system works fine.

Pam Campos
    August 16, 2007 | 7:40 pm

Slide show is working beautifully! Keep photos coming. A special “hello” to your fabulous cook, Abby Fammartino. We keep you and your mates in our prayers for a safe and fruitful journey. Be well gypsie girl!!

xox, Pam & Emilio

Toni and Joe Fammartino
    August 17, 2007 | 2:52 pm

Thanks for the continuous updates…and photos. We check your website daily, and feel as if we are traveling with you! Many prayers are with you, and we hope for a successful mission and a safe journey. We know that the families of those who were lost on the Grunion are grateful for your exploration efforts.
    Sending our best wishes to all….and hugs to our precious daughter Abby!

Vaya con Dios,