USS Grunion Internet Links and Bookmarks
Summary: Links from this site organized by these topics, Press :: Timeline and History :: Construction and Ship Design :: Aleutian Islands :: USS Mannert Abele :: General Links
- TownOnline.com - Arts & Lifestyle: The hunt for the Grunion
- Resting more than a mile below the surface of the Bering Sea, the missing World War II submarine, the USS Grunion, won’t be easy to find. With its exact location unknown, the search-and-discover mission to scour the ocean floor near the Aleutian Islands, 1,400 miles from Alaska’s mainland,...
Timeline and History:
- Mannert L. Abele - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- USS GRUNION - Navy website with a summary of the Grunion's last patrols around Kiska
- USS Grunion (SS-216) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- USS Grunion: Information From Answers.com
- USS Grunion (SS-216) Career Ordered: Laid down: 1 March 1941 Launched: 22 December 1941 Commissioned: 11 April 1942 Fate: lost to unknown causes
- Eternal Patrol - USS Grunion (SS-216)
- Submarine and Ship Postal History and Cancellations. These pages cover various ship and submarine postal issues, event and first day covers, cancellation variations, stampless covers, and post cards.
- uboat.net - Allied Warships - Submarine USS Grunion of the Gato class - offers a concise timeline of the USS Grunion
- Submarine Photo Index - A very good collection of photos and graphics of the USS Grunion and related subjects
- Toll The Bell
- A listing of all the lost vessels in the United States Navy Submarine Service. '...These men and boats are referred to as "...on Eternal Patrol..." just as the boats and the men that perished in them during peace time disasters. '
Construction and Ship Design:
- Submarine Technology of WWII - A fine collection of materials about the WWII sub fleet.
Kiska, Attu and Alaska's Aleutian Island chain:
- Bering Sea Photo Gallery
- A database of photographs, desctriptions and locations of WWII wreckage remaining in Kiska Alaska.
- HyperWar: USSBS: Campaigns of the Pacific War
- United States Strategic Bombing Survey: 'The Campaigns of the Pacific War' (6. The Aleutian Campaign).
- The Forgotten Theater U.S. Submarine Operations in the Aleutians in World War II
- Aleutian Islands and Pribilof Islands Shipwrecks
The Destroyer - USS Mannert Abele (DD-733):
- USS Mannert L. Abele (DD-733) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Destroyer Photo Index DD-733 USS MANNERT L. ABELE
- Mannert L
- He Paid His Dues
- Japanese Suicide Attacks
- With the war lost, Japan took to suicide attacks.
General Search for the Grunion Links:
- Submarines: How They Work - Introduction
- Scorpio ROVNew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
USS Gato, SS-212, laid down in October 1940, as the template for US Navy subs - The Gato Class. Specifications: 312 feet, 1,825 tons, range 11,400 miles, 24 torpedoes.